Movement Magazine caught up with Arthur Rowan who plays King Arthur in the Broadway show, Spamalot, which comes to Jacksonville next Thursday, February 16th

As a youth, did you aspire to be a Broadway performer? If so, did you ever imagine yourself in a Monty Python play? And if not, what did you think you would grow up to be?

"I got heavily into theatre in high school, but back then there was no such thing as a Monty Python 'play,' just the movies which I had already learned by heart. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd have the chance to play King Arthur on stage."

As many of the cast members have been in an array of Broadway performances, what are the most notable shows the cast members have come from to make up the Spamalot cast?

"My favorite theatrical experience thus far has been working with the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. It gave me a chance to swordfight, sing, improvise in Shakespearean, and have memorable interactions with thousands of patrons. There is nothing quite so rewarding as giving a 4-year old girl a 'magic gem' that you paid 25 cents for at a party store, explaining it will bring her luck, and watching her face light up because she really believes in the power of it."




Seeing as you are the "leader of the evening," have you always considered yourself a natural leader at heart?
"To be honest, I never really gave much thought to it.  I do love being part of a team, and when placed in positions of leadership I mostly just strive to do right by the people who are counting on me."

What is your all-time favorite Monty Python character?

"Elizabeth Tudor as played by Graham Chapman on a motorbike."

If you could turn any of your favorite movies into Broadway plays, which movies would you choose?

"It would be extremely challenging, but I'd love to see what would happen to Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit if given an imaginative director and a huge budget."

What is your least favorite part of life in the Broadway performance scene? i.e. setup, travel, performing, etc.

"The impending sense of doom that comes from knowing you'll be back pounding the pavement, looking for work again as soon as your current show is done. Stability is a very fleeting sensation, even for most 'successful' actors."
 
Are there any outrageous experiences that you have had while traveling that you are willing to share?

"During Spamalot, there's one moment where I get to give a 'shout-out' to any local celebrities of the town we're playing in. There have been a couple times when I met someone at the hotel or at the local mall who said they were coming to the show that evening, and I'd name them as one of the town heroes during the performance, hoping I can give an extra dose of magic to at least one person in the audience that night."






- by Jonathan Andrews/MOVEMENT Magazine.com

For information on Monty Python’s SPAMALOT shows in Jacksonville CLICK HERE or buy tickets now at www.artistseriesjax.org or call The Artist Series Box Office at 904-632-3373.